You can easily check for Capital One pre-approval online. The process should take you minutes at most. All you have to do is put in some basic personal info, let them know what kind of cards you’re looking for, and click “See Your Card Offers.” Capital One will then show you which of their cards you seem to be a good fit for, based on a preliminary look at your credit (which doesn’t hurt your score at all). Pre-approval doesn’t mean guaranteed approval, but it’s about as close as you can get. Most people who are pre-approved get approved.
You may also receive a pre-approval offer by mail sometime. In that case, all you have to do is plug the “Reservation Number” and “Access Code” here to get access to the card application, which will be flagged as pre-approved when Capital One reviews it.
If you don’t have an offer yet, don’t worry. Checking online is quick and easy.
Here’s how to check for Capital One pre-approval online:
- Go to Capital One’s pre-approval page.
- Enter your name, date of birth, Social Security number and address.
- Select the type of card that appeals to you most: travel rewards, cash back, low interest or not sure.
- Rate your credit level: excellent, average or rebuilding.
- Check the box that indicates you know this isn’t a credit card application.
- Click “See Your Card Offers.”
After a few seconds, you should see any cards that Capital One thinks you’d likely get approved for. You’ll be able to apply for any of them right away, if you wish. Capital One offers credit cards to people of all credit levels, from Capital One Secured for damaged credit, to Platinum and QuicksilverOne for limited credit, to Venture for good and excellent credit. So the odds are good that you’ll come away with at least one Capital One pre-approved credit card offer.