Cameron DiGiovanni, Writer
Permalink Report Abuse
To maximize Chase Freedom Unlimited, make sure to earn the initial bonus, use the card for everyday spending, and take advantage of the travel, dining, and drugstore bonus categories. You should also pay your statement balance in full every month after the first 15 months, when the 0% purchase APR period expires.
In addition, Chase Freedom Unlimited is a great card to pair with other Chase credit cards that earn Ultimate Rewards points. For instance, Chase Freedom Unlimited rewards can yield maximum value when you transfer them to either Chase Sapphire card.
How to Maximize Chase Freedom Unlimited
- Earn the initial bonus. The Chase Freedom Unlimited card offers an extra 1.5% cash back on everything you buy, up to $20,000 spent in the first year. That could result in up to $300 in additional cash back.
- Take advantage of bonus rewards categories. The Chase Freedom Unlimited card gives 5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase, plus 3% cash back on restaurant and drugstore purchases. Those are very good rates of return, so you should use Chase Freedom Unlimited for these types of purchases whenever possible.
- Use Chase Freedom Unlimited for everyday spending. The Chase Freedom Unlimited card’s base rewards rate is one of its best features. This card gives 1.5% cash back on all purchases outside of its bonus categories. The average cash back credit card gives just 1.14%.
- Utilize the promotional purchase APR to finance a big purchase. It’s a smart move to save a big-ticket buy for your Chase Freedom Unlimited. The card’s introductory rate of 0% for 15 months on purchases could save you lots of money in interest charges.
- Pay your statement balance in full and on time every month. After 15 months, the Chase Freedom Unlimited card’s promotional purchase APR will expire, and any balance carried on the card from month to month will be saddled with the card’s regular APR, which could be anywhere from 19.74% to 28.49% (V). Avoid unnecessary interest charges by paying your statement balance in full, on time every month.
- Redeem your Chase Freedom Unlimited rewards often. Chase Ultimate Rewards points don’t expire, but like other card issuers, Chase can change the value of their points at any time, causing rewards devaluation. So avoid risking too many points by redeeming them often.
- Pair Chase Freedom Unlimited with a Chase Sapphire card. The Chase Sapphire Reserve card is one of the best credit cards to use alongside the Chase Freedom Unlimited. Cardholders can transfer their Freedom Unlimited rewards to the Chase Sapphire Reserve card and redeem for 1.5X the value. And if you transfer Freedom Unlimited rewards to Chase Sapphire Preferred instead, you’ll get 1.25X the regular redemption value. Both Sapphire cards charge annual fees.
Chase Freedom Unlimited®
People also ask
WalletHub Answers is a free service that helps consumers access financial information. Information on WalletHub Answers is provided “as is” and should not be considered financial, legal or investment advice. WalletHub is not a financial advisor, law firm, “lawyer referral service,” or a substitute for a financial advisor, attorney, or law firm. You may want to hire a professional before making any decision. WalletHub does not endorse any particular contributors and cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of any information posted. The helpfulness of a financial advisor's answer is not indicative of future advisor performance.
WalletHub members have a wealth of knowledge to share, and we encourage everyone to do so while respecting our content guidelines. This question was posted by WalletHub. Please keep in mind that editorial and user-generated content on this page is not reviewed or otherwise endorsed by any financial institution. In addition, it is not a financial institution’s responsibility to ensure all posts and questions are answered.
Ad Disclosure: Certain offers that appear on this site originate from paying advertisers, and this will be noted on an offer’s details page using the designation "Sponsored", where applicable. Advertising may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). At WalletHub we try to present a wide array of offers, but our offers do not represent all financial services companies or products.
Did we answer your question?