The only way to get PNC pre-approval for a credit card is through an offer in the mail. Like other credit card companies, PNC mails pre-approved offers to people they think are good candidates to apply and get approved for one of their credit cards. But you can’t request such an offer. You just have to wait. And unlike many other issuers, there is no online PNC pre-approval checker.
If PNC gives you pre-approval for a credit card, it means they’ve done a soft inquiry into your credit history and liked what they saw. The soft inquiry has no effect on your credit score. But if you do apply for the card, a hard inquiry will follow and that will lower your score a bit.
Getting PNC’s pre-approval for a credit card does not mean you’re guaranteed to get a new credit card account because they could always change their mind after taking a closer look at your finances. But eight or nine times out of 10, a pre-approved applicant gets approved for real.
In any case, you’d be wise to familiarize yourself even more with how PNC Bank’s pre-approval process works before hastily submitting an application or waiting around for an offer that may never come.
Here’s what you should know about getting PNC pre-approval for a credit card:
- PNC is one of just a few major issuers that don’t let you check for credit card pre-approval online.
- PNC “pre-screens” potential customers and mails pre-approved offers to those who meet their criteria.
- The PNC credit cards available right now all require an “excellent” credit score to even have a shot at being approved. So if you don’t have a credit score of at least 750, you are unlikely to receive a pre-approved credit card offer.
- Credit card pre-approval means a soft inquiry into your credit report indicates you are a good candidate for a particular card (at least from the issuer’s perspective) and have a high odds of approval if you apply.
- If you receive a pre-approval offer from PNC, you can complete and return the attached paper application through the mail. You can also apply online or over the phone (1-888-762-2265) using the “reservation number” you received with your pre-approval offer along with your SSN.
Pre-approval for a PNC credit card, or any other credit card, is very beneficial. Although it may only be for one offer, you’ll still get a better sense of the type of credit card you’re likely to be approved for before you submit an application. And that will make it easier to find the best possible credit card for you.