Gift cards are supposed to make gift-giving simpler, reducing the need to worry about the recipient’s tastes or which specific items he or she might already have. But not all gift cards are created equal, which might help explain why billions of dollars in gift-card value has gone unused in recent years, despite gift cards being the most popular type of present for the 15th consecutive year in 2021.
In the interest of helping you find the best gift cards for any occasion – whether a birthday, holiday, graduation, etc. – we compared the 50 most popular options across five major categories: 1) how popular the cards are; 2) how much of a discount you can buy them for; 3) how much you can sell them for; 4) how much people like the retailer; and 5) shipping fees. Below, you can check out the resulting top picks.
Best Gift Cards Comparison (2022)
Gift Card Popularity Rank
Shipping or Purchase Fees
Average Buyer Discount
Average Resale Value ($100 gift card)
Retailer Rating (out of 5)
|Starbucks Gift Card||60||5||$0.00||5.04%||$74.19||2.75|
|Target Gift Card||60||4||$0.00||4.80%||$74.84||3.06|
|Nike Gift Card||55||14||$0.00||5.45%||$76.94||2.57|
|Chick-fil-A Gift Card||55||9||$0.00||3.00%||$79.61||2.50|
|iTunes Gift Card||55||6||$0.00||2.83%||$75.00||2.90|
|Walmart Gift Card||51||3||$0.00||1.79%||$78.12||1.97|
|eBay Gift Card||51||7||$0.00||0.55%||$86.50||1.88|
|Visa Gift Card||51||2||$5.90||0.00%||$92.00||1.60|
|American Express Gift Card||50||10||$3.95||N/A||$92.00||2.25|
|REI Gift Card||50||24||$0.00||7.40%||$79.65||2.29|
|Ikea Gift Card||50||31||$0.00||6.10%||$82.63||2.45|
|Google Play Gift Card||50||8||$0.00||4.58%||$73.00||2.02|
|Old Navy Gift Card||45||50||$0.00||8.09%||$76.70||2.33|
|Texas Roadhouse Gift Card||45||32||$0.00||5.87%||$76.06||2.09|
|Nordstrom Gift Card||45||25||$0.00||5.40%||$72.67||2.24|
|Amazon Gift Card||45||1||$0.00||3.00%||N/A||2.53|
|Sephora Gift Card||45||23||$0.00||2.75%||$75.49||2.15|
|Apple Store Gift Card||45||38||$0.00||2.30%||$86.00||2.08|
|Home Depot Gift Card||45||12||$0.00||1.98%||$75.00||2.03|
|Netflix Gift Card||45||16||$0.00||1.38%||$81.50||2.74|
|Disney Gift Card||45||11||$0.00||1.35%||$77.43||2.30|
|Hobby Lobby Gift Cards||43||29||$1.00||5.96%||$76.10||2.29|
|Michaels Gift Card||41||36||$1.95||11.72%||$69.40||2.85|
|SONIC Gift Card||41||41||$0.00||8.80%||$75.57||1.60|
|Olive Garden Gift Card||41||34||$1.95||7.43%||$76.29||2.72|
|Ticketmaster Gift Card||41||17||$0.00||3.00%||$79.00||1.44|
|Zara Gift Card||41||39||$0.00||3.00%||$81.75||1.62|
|Hot Topic Gift Card||41||47||$0.00||2.43%||$80.76||1.75|
|Kroger Gift Card||41||21||$0.00||0.80%||$82.00||1.81|
|Costco Gift Card||40||30||$0.00||N/A||$87.39||2.04|
|Red Lobster Gift Card||40||48||$0.00||6.60%||$70.00||2.63|
|T.J. Maxx Gift Card||40||37||$0.00||4.08%||$79.00||2.78|
|Chipotle Gift Card||40||18||$2.40||3.99%||$77.63||2.40|
|Lowe’s Gift Card||40||45||$0.00||3.84%||$75.19||2.07|
|Best Buy Gift Card||40||19||$0.00||1.43%||$78.16||2.53|
|Whole Foods Gift Card||40||33||$0.00||1.25%||$81.28||2.98|
|McDonald's Gift Card||40||20||$2.95||1.10%||$81.28||2.50|
|American Airlines Gift Card||36||49||$4.95||4.27%||$87.79||1.90|
|Macy’s Gift Card||36||22||$0.00||3.35%||$73.36||1.83|
|Subway Gift Card||35||40||$0.00||3.22%||$73.10||2.23|
|Taco Bell Gift Card||35||27||$2.40||3.20%||$77.15||2.09|
|Safeway Gift Card||35||46||$0.00||0.33%||$78.76||2.02|
|Cabela's Gift Card||31||42||$0.00||4.69%||$70.60||1.94|
|Dunkin Donuts Gift Card||31||13||$1.50||3.12%||$58.76||2.77|
|Wawa Gift Card||31||43||$7.99||0.64%||$82.01||1.90|
|MasterCard Gift Card||31||28||$5.90||0.00%||$92.00||1.40|
|Etsy Gift Card||30||15||$0.00||N/A||N/A||2.11|
|GameStop Gift Card||30||26||$0.00||3.71%||$68.77||2.51|
|Kohl's Gift Card||26||35||$0.00||1.85%||$72.30||1.91|
|QVC Gift Card||20||44||$0.00||0.74%||N/A||2.67|
10 Tips for Getting the Best Gift Card
There are a handful of things we can count on every holiday season: time off from work and school; an overweight, bearded out-of-towner breaking into homes through the chimney; tone-deaf neighbors singing at your doorstep; overeating; and, of course, gift cards. They’re everywhere this time of year, and for good reason: people generally love them.
But you don’t want yours to be just one gift card among many received by your intended recipient(s) this year. You’d probably prefer it to be enjoyed rather than forgotten in a drawer full of clutter. And you certainly want to get a good deal, because who doesn’t?
Given that your gift card strategy can make or break the holiday season, particularly the budget part, we compiled a list of 10 great tips for gift card success. You can find them below. Shop wisely!
- Look for a Discount. You might assume that sales and savings don’t apply to the gift card market, since gift cards are more like currency than retail products with traditional product margins. That’s not the case, however, as the best gift cards can usually be bought for less than face value. You can learn where to look for deals from our article on the best gift card exchanges.
- Avoid Card-Network Gift Cards. Gift cards from Visa, Mastercard and Discover might seem like they’re as good as cash, since they can be used anywhere, but they’re actually quite inferior. While retailers make money immediately when one of their gift cards gets purchased, these card-network gift cards make money from fees. So if you want the versatility of cash, why not just use cash instead? It will certainly be cheaper. That’s why we didn’t include any card-network gift cards in our list of the year’s best gift cards.
- Don’t Confuse Gift Cards & Prepaid Cards. Despite often being displayed next to each other in stores, gift cards and prepaid cards are very different animals. Gift cards are designed to be used only until the original balance is gone. Prepaid cards, on the other hand, are reloadable and designed to serve the same purpose as a checking account with a debit card.Prepaid cards also have a lot of different fees associated with them. So giving one to someone instead of a gift card could result in the recipient not getting as much value as you intended. In fact, the average prepaid card has nine separate fees, according to our Prepaid Card Report, and the wrong prepaid card could cost an individual up to $300 per year if used incorrectly.
- Watch Out for Loyalty Cards With Different Rules. A loophole in the law allows non-reloadable prepaid cards (aka gift cards) that are received through a loyalty, award or promotional program to expire with no restriction. For context, normal gift cards cannot expire until five years from the date of issuance.So it’s important to verify that you are indeed buying/receiving actual gift cards this holiday season and to read any applicable fine print.
- Resale is Always an Option. If you don’t end up using a particular gift card or the recipient doesn’t like it, you’re not out of luck. You can sell it on a gift card exchange or simply swap gift cards with a friend or family member.
- When in Doubt, Just Give Cash. Cold, hard cash might seem a bit less personal than a gift card, but it completely eliminates guesswork from the equation and is the most versatile gift anyone can give. Plus, you might be able to give your recipient more value without shipping fees or shopping trips to worry about
- Tap Into Unredeemed Value. Have you contributed to the billions of dollars in gift cards that have gone unredeemed in recent years? Check your drawers and find out. Any gift card from the past five years is most likely still good.You have three basic options when it comes to unlocking the value of unused gift cards. First, you can sell unwanted gift cards for cash. Secondly, most stores allow you to trade in old, unused gift cards for new ones, which is great news for re-gifting cards that have developed noticeable wear and tear as a result of sitting idle for years. Finally, most states have programs that allow you to recoup unused funds from expired gift cards under unclaimed property laws.
- Buy Gift Cards with Rewards. Most credit card rewards programs allow you to redeem your points/miles for gift cards from a wide variety of major retailers. In many cases, you can garner more value from this type of redemption strategy than redeeming for cash.
- E-Gift Cards are Great in a Time Crunch. E-gift cards have been gaining traction in recent years, and increased mobile functionality stands to foster greater use of such products this holiday season. That’s good news for time-crunched shoppers who want to avoid the shipping fees that many major retailers charge for physical gift cards ordered online.
- Avoid Using Gift Cards as an Excuse to Overspend. When redeeming gift cards, two-thirds of consumers spend more than their cards’ face value, according to Consumer Reports. This is likely due to the same psychological factor that leads consumers to spend more with credit cards than cash: the money somehow seems less real. While gift cards can be quite useful in subsidizing the cost of large purchases, you should be especially cognizant of your spending when using a gift card, so as to avoid unnecessary expenses.
Gift Card Popularity Over Time
The following gift cards are projected to be the most popular among consumers this holiday season, according to WalletHub data. You can also see how the most popular gift cards have changed over the years.
|Gift Card||2021 Popularity Rank||Change vs 2020 Rank||Change vs 2019 Rank||Change vs 2018 Rank||Change vs 2017 Rank||Change vs 2016 Rank|
|Amazon Gift Card||1||-||-||-||-||-|
|Visa Gift Card||2||-||-||-||↓1||-|
|Walmart Gift Card||3||-||-||-||-||↑2|
|Target Gift Card||4||-||-||↑3||↑2||↑1|
|Starbucks Gift Card||5||-||↑1||↑1||↑1||-|
|iTunes Gift Card||6||↑2||↓1||↓1||↓2||↓3|
|eBay Gift Card||7||↓1||↑2||↑1||↑3||↑2|
|Google Play Gift Card||8||↑1||↑3||↑1||↑4||-|
|Chick-fil-A Gift Card||9||↑5||↑5||↑18||↑14||↑29|
|American Express Gift Card||10||↓3||↓3||↓6||↓6||↓6|
|Disney Gift Card||11||↓1||↓3||-||↓3||↑2|
|Home Depot Gift Card||12||↑1||↑1||↑1||-||↑4|
|Dunkin Donuts Gift Card||13||↑5||↑13||↑7||↑10||↑10|
|Nike Gift Card||14||↑20||↑10||↑14||↑16||↑9|
|Etsy Gift Card||15||↑6||↑22||↑8||↑17||↑13|
|Netflix Gift Card||16||↓4||↓1||↓4||↓4||↓7|
|Ticketmaster Gift Card||17||↑18||↑16||↑18||↑26||↑21|
|Chipotle Gift Card||18||↑9||↑9||↑13||↑14||↑10|
|Best Buy Gift Card||19||↓4||↓3||↓5||↓4||↓3|
|McDonald's Gift Card||20||↓4||-||↓1||↑1||-|
|Kroger Gift Card||21||↓21||↑39||↑40||↓1||↓1|
|Macy’s Gift Card||22||↑1||↓5||↑3||↓7||↓2|
|Sephora Gift Card||23||↓12||↓13||↓13||↓14||↓12|
|REI Gift Card||24||↓2||↑7||↑5||↑19||↑23|
|Nordstrom Gift Card||25||↑3||↓3||↑5||↑3||↑3|
|GameStop Gift Card||26||↓9||↓8||↓8||↓3||↓3|
|Taco Bell Gift Card||27||↓1||↑5||↑5||↑12||↑20|
|MasterCard Gift Card||28||↓9||↓9||↓12||↓7||↓12|
|Hobby Lobby Gift Cards||29||↑4||↑15||↑15||↑30||↑33|
|Costco Gift Card||30||↑11||↓18||↑4||↓19||↓17|
|Ikea Gift Card||31||↓2||↑5||↓9||↑1||↓8|
|Texas Roadhouse Gift Card||32||↓7||↑9||↑4||↑22||↑26|
|Whole Foods Gift Card||33||↑3||↑5||↑4||↑6||↑5|
|Olive Garden Gift Card||34||↓10||↓4||↓13||↓2||↑4|
|Kohl's Gift Card||35||↓3||↓10||↓9||↓12||↓7|
|Michaels Gift Card||36||↑3||↑11||↑13||↑23||↑26|
|T.J. Maxx Gift Card||37||↑3||↓9||↑3||↑2||↑1|
|Apple Store Gift Card||38||↓1||↓9||↑7||↑5||-|
|Zara Gift Card||39||↓39||↑34||↑36||↑39||↓1|
|Subway Gift Card||40||↓10||↓6||↓16||↓8||↓12|
|SONIC Gift Card||41||↓41||↑29||↑31||↑28||↑30|
|Cabela's Gift Card||42||-||↑1||↓1||↓3||↑5|
|Wawa Gift Card||43||↑6||↑6||↑9||↑16||↑19|
|QVC Gift Card||44||↓44||↑16||↑17||↑25||↑18|
|Lowe’s Gift Card||45||↓14||↓22||↓28||↓22||↓22|
|Safeway Gift Card||46||↓46||↑42||↑44||↑5||↑1|
|Hot Topic Gift Card||47||↓47||↑26||↑28||↑31||↑24|
|Red Lobster Gift Card||48||↓10||↓3||↓15||↑9||↑5|
|American Airlines Gift Card||49||↑1||↓14||↓2||↑4||↑4|
|Old Navy Gift Card||50||↓4||↓1||↓4||↑9||↑8|
Methodology for Selecting the Best Gift Cards
To identify the year’s best gift cards, WalletHub compared the cards affiliated with the country’s 50 most popular retailers in five categories that speak to their appeal and overall value. Each gift card was scored on a 100-point scale, with 100 representing the best option. Below, you can find the grading rubric that we used to calculate these overall WalletHub Scores. Cards for which discount, resale or store-rating information was not available were given 0 points in those respective categories.
Gift Card Popularity Rank (30 points max): We used the number of people who search for each gift card online as a proxy for its popularity.
- 30 points: Ranks 1 to 5
- 25 points: Ranks 6 to 10
- 20 points: Ranks 11 to 15
- 15 points: Ranks 16 to 25
- 10 points: Ranks 26 to 50
- 5 points: Ranks 51 to 75
- 0 points: Ranks 76+
Average Buyer Discount (30 points max): We checked the major gift card exchanges to see what kind of discount buyers can get on each card. For sites that don’t buy gift cards directly, we used their recommended selling price.
- 30 points: 15.00%+
- 20 points: 10.00% to 14.99%
- 10 points: 5.00% to 9.99%
- 5 points: 2.00% to 4.99%
- 0 points: < 2.00%
Average Resale Value (20 points): To account for the potential that you don’t end up using a gift card that you purchase or receive, we determined how much a seller could get for a $100 gift card from each retailer on the major gift card exchanges.
- 20 points: $80.00+
- 15 points: $75.00 to $79.99
- 10 points: $70.00 to $74.99
- 5 points: $60.00 to $69.99
- 0 points: < $60.00
Retailer Rating (15 points): The customer experience at a given retailer obviously affects the intrinsic value of its gift cards. So we obtained user ratings for each retailer from a number of popular review sites and averaged them to provide a broad sense of how well–liked each is.
- 15 points: 4.0 to 5.0
- 10 points: 3.0 to 3.99
- 5 points: 2.0 to 2.99
- 1 point: 1.0 to 1.99
- 0 points: < 1.0
Shipping or Purchase Fees (5 points): Any amount spent on fees for purchasing and shipping a physical gift card reduces the amount you can allocate to the gift itself and eats away at any discount you were able to obtain.
- 5 points: No fees
- 3 points: $0.01 - $1
- 1 point: $1.01 - $2
- 0 points: $2+