- Amazon Prime Student Membership
- 1% Cash Back
- No Annual or Foreign Fees
- No SSN Required
- No rewards bonus
- No intro APR on purchases
- No balance transfers allowed
Deserve EDU Credit Card Review Summary
The Deserve® EDU Mastercard for Students is a good choice for anyone who’s currently enrolled in a U.S. college or university, particularly international students and fans of Amazon.com. The Deserve EDU Card is worth it because it doesn’t charge an annual fee, but does offer rewards: 1% cash back on all purchases. That’s roughly the average among all rewards credit cards, not just those for students.
Unlike most student credit cards, which require you to have a Social Security number, Deserve EDU is available to students who were born abroad. International students simply need a passport, U.S. bank account and Student visa.
Whether you’re a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or international student, you don’t need any prior credit experience to get the Deserve Student Credit Card. Just be prepared to pay your balance in full every month, given the card’s high APR.
- Receive one year of Amazon Prime Student on Deserve after spending $500 in the first three billing cycles with your EDU card (Lifetime Value of $59).
- Earn 1% Cash Back on all purchases with your Deserve EDU Mastercard. Once approved, you'll automatically start earning cash back on all purchases.
- Feel secure with cell phone protection up to $600.
- Refer A Friend Program: Refer anyone to Deserve using your personal referral code. Upon approval, card activation and use, you'll receive $30 and so will your referral. Referral bonuses are unlimited!
- No deposit required. No annual fees.
- No international transaction fees on purchases abroad so you can travel with confidence.
- No Social Security Number required for international students to apply.
- Manage and track your spending, set automatic payments and securely freeze your card all through one easy to use app.
- See if you prequalify with no impact to your credit score in minutes.
- Deserve Mastercards are issued by Celtic Bank, Member FDIC.
- Enjoy Mastercard Platinum Benefits intended to make your life easier like Mastercard ID Theft Prevention™ and Master Rental®.
- More Details & Reviews About Deserve® EDU Mastercard for Students
Deserve EDU Credit Card Review Highlights
1% Cash Back on All Purchases
Deserve Edu’s rewards rate is good but not great. The average credit card, market-wide, offers only slightly more. The Deserve Student Card looks good by comparison, considering that most cards with better rewards used credit responsibly in the past. But its rewards are still about average, and many student credit cards have it beat in this regard, thanks to either a higher everyday earning rate or initial rewards bonus.
$59-Worth of Amazon Prime Student
Amazon Prime Student is a cheaper version of Prime, specifically for college students. It gives you a six-month free trial period, during which most Prime benefits – such as free two-day shipping – are available. After six months, you get access to all Prime benefits, including unlimited music streaming, at half the usual price. Your two options are $59 per year or $6.49 per month ($77.88 for a year). And Deserve will cover the first $59 charged to your Edu Mastercard for Students if you spend $500 within the first three billing cycles. So you can score free Prime services for up to a year and a half just by using this card.
No Annual Fee
This saves you $22 per year compared to the average credit card. It’s par for the course among student credit cards, though.
Deserve EDU Credit Card Review Lowlights
It’s generally unwise to carry a balance from month to month in the absence of a 0% introductory APR, which the Deserve Edu Credit Card doesn’t have. And it’s an especially bad idea to do so when you’re being charged interest at a high rate, which Deserve Edu does. Its regular APR – 20.24% Variable – is well above the average for a student credit card.
Other Things To Consider About The Deserve EDU Credit Card
Credit Limit as High as $5,000
Deserve doesn’t provide much information about the Edu Mastercard’s credit line, other than it’s based on your overall creditworthiness and can be as high as $5,000. Most applicants are unlikely to be approved for that much spending power, though.
Available to International Students
Not all credit cards are available to international students who don’t have an SSN. And those that are typically require an Individual Taxpayer Identification number (ITIN) instead. Few cards are available with just a passport (from any country) and some other basic documentation, as is the case with the Deserve Edu Mastercard.
In addition to a copy of your passport, you will need to provide proof of a U.S. bank account as well as copies of your Student Visa and I-20 form, also known as a “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status.”
Balance Transfers & Cash Advances Not Allowed
Cash advances are very expensive and are best avoided, anyway. And students generally don’t have enough credit card debt to warrant transferring a balance. But it’s still good to know ahead of time that these normally standard features won’t be available.
Deserve EDU Credit Card Review vs. The Competition
There are lots of great student credit cards on the market right now. To help you find the right fit for your needs, we compared the Deserve Edu Mastercard to some of the most popular alternatives. You can check out what each card brings to the table below
Deserve® EDU Mastercard for Students
Journey Student Rewards from Capital One
Bank of America® Travel Rewards Credit Card for Students
|Bonus Offer||N/A||$5 monthly Streaming Offer||25,000 points|
|Rewards Rate||1% Cash Back||1 - 5% Cash Back||1.5 - 3 points / $1|
|Purchase Intro APR||N/A||N/A||0% for 15 months|
|Transfer Intro APR||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Regular APR||20.24% Variable||26.99% (V)||14.74% - 24.74% (V)|
|Details, Rates & Fees||Learn More||Learn More||Learn More|