The Amex Delta Platinum companion ticket is an electronic certificate that Amex offers after each account anniversary, in return for renewing the Platinum Delta SkyMiles card from American Express. The certificate allows cardholders to bring a companion on one round-trip domestic flight without buying another ticket.
The Delta Platinum companion certificate will be available within a month after you pay the $250 annual fee required to keep the account open for another year. It is not available until your account has been open for at least 12 months.
To access your Amex Delta Platinum companion ticket, log on to Delta.com, go to “My Delta,” and select “My Wallet,” then “Credits and Certificates.” You companion certificate will be there waiting. To use your companion certificate, find the 8-digit code at the bottom and enter it on Delta’s redemption portal. From there, you’ll be able to search for and book eligible flights.
But before you redeem, there’s some fine print that might affect your trip.
Amex Delta Platinum companion ticket details:
- You don’t have to buy a second ticket to use your companion certificate. But you may still have to pay up to $75 in government-imposed taxes and fees, plus baggage charges.
- For most fares, you’ll need to book 14 days in advance if you want to bring a companion. Your trip must last a minimum of 3 nights and a maximum of 30 days.
- You must book and complete travel by the date on your companion certificate. Normally, this is 13 months from the date it’s issued.
- Both the primary ticket and the companion ticket must be booked for the same flight on the same date.
- You must book your entire reservation through Delta’s website and pay with your Delta SkyMiles credit card or rewards to use your companion ticket.
- Only Main Cabin seats in coach and business classes are eligible for companion flights.
- If the person who bought the ticket is a member of Delta Medallion rewards, both passengers are eligible for free upgrades, when available. The companion just has to be a SkyMiles member. Upgrades are based on the status of the higher-tiered passenger.
- Companion tickets are non-transferable once a flight is booked. So you can’t switch companions.
- Companion tickets can’t be combined with other discounts or sales.
The Amex Delta Platinum companion ticket isn’t quite as free as it sounds, since you still have to pay taxes and fees. And there are restrictions about how and when you can redeem your certificate. But all in all, if you’re an Amex Delta Platinum card member, it’s a great way to get a (nearly) free flight.