- Large hotel portfolio and many international locations
- Worthwhile co-branded credit cards
- Relatively valuable points when used to book free nights
- Bonus points on stays for Elite-level members
- No blackout dates on reward nights
- Certain IHG properties offer fewer points per $1 spent than others
- Some Elite status levels are hard to earn
- Fewer U.S. properties than the top competitors
IHG Rewards Club Review Summary
IHG Rewards Club is the 8th best hotel rewards program, according to WalletHub research. Some of the best features of IHG Rewards Club are points worth an average of 0.7 cents apiece, no point expiration for elite members and lots of ways to redeem rewards.
IHG Rewards Club Scorecard
#7 for Earning Policies
#8 for Rewards Value
#4 for Redemption Policies
#4 for Geographical Coverage
#8 for Other Features
|Points Needed for a Free Night:||Min: 10,000 |
|Average Point Value:||1 point = 0.7 cents |
1,000 points = $7
|Transfer Partners:||39, including: |
American Airlines, Delta Airlines, JetBlue and more
Despite IHG’s wide reach and overall popularity, some people still wonder what IHG Rewards Club is. That is partly because IHG’s rewards program has not always gone by the name IHG Rewards Club. Up until 2013, it was referred to as Priority Club.
Below are a multitude of other details about IHG Rewards Club, from how to earn different status levels to how to earn and redeem points. You can also see how IHG Rewards Club compares to some of the top competition.
How to Earn IHG Rewards Points
Category Rating: 3/15
IHG Rewards Club members earn points when they make purchases through IHG or its affiliates. The following list gives a breakdown of which types of transactions are eligible for points, as well as how many points you’ll receive.
- 10 IHG Rewards Club Points per $1 Spent: Stays at most IHG properties
- 5 IHG Rewards Points per $1 Spent: Stays at Staybridge Suites and Candlewood Suites
- 1-10 IHG Rewards Points per $1 Spent: Purchases on an IHG credit card
- Up to 5,000 Bonus IHG Rewards Points: Booking special “bonus packages” at IHG hotels
You should also be on the lookout for special deals posted on the websites of hotels in the IHG portfolio. Such deals may allow you to earn significantly more points for stays at certain locations or book certain rooms for significantly fewer points. You will have to be lucky enough to catch deals at the right times, though.
How Much Are IHG Rewards Points Worth?
Category Rating: 8/25
IHG Rewards Club points are worth 0.7 cents each on average, according to WalletHub’s research. The average IHG Rewards Club point value is almost the same for both weekday and weekend reservations.
How to Redeem IHG Rewards Points
Category Rating: 22/25
|Redemption Method||More Info|
|Reward Nights||Book a stay at an IHG Hotel, starting at 10,000 points|
IHG® Rewards Club Access
|Use points to get access to members-only experiences at concerts, sporting events, etc.|
Points to Miles
|Transfer miles to airline partners like American Airlines, Delta Airlines, JetBlue and more|
|Move points to another member’s account|
|Buy products like jewelry, electronics and gift cards through an online mall|
|Get movies, games, eBooks, music and more|
|Get magazines in a wide range of categories|
|Donate points to organizations like the American Red Cross or Goodwill|
Other Features of the IHG Rewards Program
Category Rating: 10/20
IHG Rewards Club is free to join, and most people will join as a basic member, or “Club Member.” Basic IHG Rewards Club membership benefits include free internet, special “member rates” on reservations, and no blackout dates for reward nights.
The more nights you stay at IHG hotels and resorts, and the more money you spend with an IHG credit card, the higher your “Elite Status” level will go. The higher your IHG Rewards Club level is, the more perks you will receive whenever you stay at IHG properties.
Below, you can see exactly how many nights you will need to stay to achieve and maintain each IHG Rewards Club status level, along with the perks that come with it.
|IHG Rewards Club Levels||Nights Needed per Year||Points Bonus||Other Notable Perks|
|Club||None||None||Exclusive member rates |
Dedicated customer service
No blackout dates for reward nights
Reward nights count toward elite status
|Gold Elite||7||10%||Club benefits |
Points don’t expire
|Platinum Elite||30||50%||Gold Elite benefits |
Elite rollover nights
Complimentary room upgrades
Guaranteed room availability
|Spire Elite||55||100%||Platinum Elite benefits |
Exclusive choice benefit
Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® Five Star® Upgrade
|Kimpton Inner Circle||N/A – Invite Only||100%||Spire Elite benefits |
Special tasting with hotel chef
Free night at newly-opened hotel
Members must satisfy a given status level’s qualifying requirements between Jan 1. and Dec. 31 to reach or maintain that status level and enjoy the corresponding benefits. Once a member earns a status level, they will maintain that level through the end of the following calendar year.
Where Can IHG Rewards Points Take You?
Category Rating: 10/15
IHG Rewards Club has a large international reach, which isn’t surprising considering that IHG stands for InterContinental Hotels Group. It includes more than 880,000 rooms across more than 5,500 properties in around 100 countries and territories. It also features more than 20 different hotel brands, including Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza Hotels and Resorts, Regent Hotels & Resorts, Hotel Indigo and Atwell Suites – just to name a few. There are options for low- and high-budget travelers.
Summary: IHG Rewards Scores by Review Category
IHG Rewards Club Credit Card
Opinions and ratings are our own. This content is not provided, commissioned or endorsed by any issuer. Some offers are from WalletHub partners.
Applying for an IHG credit card is worth considering if you have good credit or better and frequently stay at hotels in the IHG portfolio. There is two options to pick from, and you can see what they bring to the table below.
IHG Credit Card vs Popular Competitors
|IHG Credit Card||Annual Fee||Initial Bonus|
|IHG® Rewards Premier Credit Card||$99||140,000 points|
|IHG® Rewards Traveler Credit Card||$0||80,000 points|
|Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card||$95||130,000 points|
|Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card||$95||3 Free Nights|
6 Tips for IHG Rewards Club Members
- The best way to redeem IHG Rewards Club points is for IHG stays. Points are worth 0.7 cents apiece that way.
- Avoid buying IHG Rewards Club points, if possible. IHG Rewards Club points cost more to purchase than they are worth when redeemed, on average. However, it could be worth buying a small number if it puts you over the top for a free night.
- Take advantage of status perks. The assorted small perks with which members are rewarded for their financial loyalty can be a big selling point for hotel rewards programs, but they are often forgotten by users as time goes by.
- Consider applying for an IHG credit card. The best IHG credit card could save the average person roughly $3,000 over the first two years of use, according to WalletHub’s calculations.
- Make sure to read IHG reviews & IHG Rewards Club FAQs. Learning from experts and fellow travelers will help you pick up some helpful tips as well as avoid tricks and pitfalls.
- Compare your hotel options if you’re not wedded to IHG. IHG is not the only worldwide hotel chain with a rewarding loyalty program. You can see how IHG Rewards Club compares to a couple of popular alternatives below. You can also check out WalletHub’s rankings of the Best Hotel Rewards Programs to learn more.
IHG Rewards Club vs. Hilton Honors vs. Marriott Bonvoy
|Category||IHG Rewards Club||Hilton Honors||Marriot Bonvoy|
|Average Point Value||0.7 cents||0.94 cents||0.91 cents|
|Countries/Territories with a Property||107||118||133|
|Point Expiration||After 12 months of inactivity||After 15 months of inactivity||After 24 months of inactivity|
|Credit Card to Consider||IHG® Rewards Traveler Credit Card||Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card||Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card|
IHG Rewards Club Review Methodology
Overall program rankings are based on the same methodology as WalletHub’s annual study on the Best Hotel Rewards Programs. Editor’s ratings reflect the sum of each rewards program’s scores across the study’s 5 major categories – earning policies, redemption policies, rewards value, geographical coverage and other features – adjusted to a 5-point scale and to create a representative distribution of ratings.
WalletHub calculated IHG Rewards Club point values by comparing room rates in 10 popular travel destinations – 5 domestic and 5 international – to the number of points needed to book a rewards night. We did this for all IHG-owned hotel locations within 15 miles of the city center in each destination, applying the process to weekend and weekday dates in each destination’s high and shoulder tourist seasons.