World Elite Mastercard Benefits & Best Cards
This content is not provided or commissioned by any issuer. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone, not those of an issuer, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by an issuer.
World Elite is Mastercard’s highest benefits level. World Elite Mastercard benefits include everything you’d get with a regular or World Mastercard, plus hundreds of thousands of dollars more in travel insurance, exclusive discounts on many travel services and special nightclub access. The best World Elite Mastercard benefits include: purchase protection, price protection, extended warranties, travel accident insurance and multiple discount programs. Other good perks include a ShopRunner membership and exclusive PGA Tour golf experiences.
Some World Elite Mastercard credit cards are better than others, though, thanks to a wide range of rewards, rates and fees. So in addition to a detailed description of every World Elite Mastercard perk, you’ll also find top card picks from WalletHub’s editors below.
Exclusive World Elite Mastercard Benefits
World Elite Mastercard benefits include all of the perks that come with a World Mastercard, or any other Mastercard, plus the following:
- Extra Travel Insurance: $1,000,000 in travel accident insurance ($800,000 more than World Mastercard).
- World Elite Programs: Discounts and complimentary extras for hotel stays, air travel, cruises, tours and more.
- Nightlife Program: Exclusive access to more than 200 clubs worldwide, with advance bookings and VIP treatment.
Here’s how World Elite Mastercard benefits compare:
|Benefit||World Elite Mastercard||World Mastercard||Mastercard|
|Rental car insurance||YES||YES||YES|
|Travel accident insurance||YES||YES||No|
|Trip cancellation/interruption insurance||YES||YES||No|
|Exclusive experiences for cardholders||YES||YES||No|
|Fuel Rewards Network||YES||YES||No|
|World Elite discount programs||YES||No||No|
Best World Elite Mastercard Credit Cards
As you can see, World Elite Mastercards pack in a ton of extra benefits. With that in mind, WalletHub’s editors have picked out some of the best World Elite Mastercard offers and compared them for you.
|Best For…||World Elite Mastercard||Annual Fee||Min. Credit Needed|
|Lounge access||Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard®||$450||Excellent|
|Initial bonus||Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard®||None 1st yr, $99 after*||Good|
|Points||HSBC Premier World Elite Mastercard® credit card||$395||Excellent|
|Balance transfers||Hawaiian Airlines Credit Card||$99||Good|
|Business||U.S. Bank Business Edge™ Cash Rewards World Elite™ Mastercard®||None||Excellent|
|Honorable mention||Virgin Atlantic Credit Card||$90||Good|
Now that you know which Mastercards will give you World Elite benefits, it’s time to take a look at each one of those benefits in detail.
World Elite Mastercard Travel Benefits
The “World” in World Elite Mastercard isn’t just for show. World Elite Mastercards come with a huge list of travel related perks. All benefits come free with your card, so you can take advantage of them without worrying about extra costs.
- Travel accident insurance: In the unfortunate event of death or dismemberment caused by a travel provider (such as an airline or bus company), Mastercard will pay out up to $1,000,000. You, your domestic partner and any dependent children are covered. You must have paid for the entire fare with your Mastercard.
- Trip cancellation insurance: If the injury, illness or death of a family member causes a trip to be cancelled, you can get up to $1,500 back per trip. This benefit also applies if the travel service you were going to use goes bankrupt. Some situations not covered are pre-existing conditions, cosmetic surgery and emotional trauma.
- Trip delay insurance: You can get up to $500 per ticket when your airline or other travel provider delays your trip. You must have purchased the tickets with your card and the delay must be more than 3 hours.
- Baggage loss insurance: You may receive up to $3,000 per trip when your bags get lost in transit. The amount you get is based on the value of the bags and what was inside them. Certain items aren’t eligible for reimbursement, most notably medical equipment.
- Baggage delay insurance: If your bags come to your destination late, Mastercard will reimburse you up to $100 per day for up to three days for essentials you have to purchase. This includes things like clothes and toiletries.
- MasterRental insurance: When you rent a car using your World Elite Mastercard, you can get reimbursed up to $50,000 for physical damage or theft on rentals of 31 days or fewer. You’re also covered for towing and loss of use charges. You’ll have to decline any insurance the rental agency offers. Some situations aren’t covered, like reckless driving or personal injury. And some vehicles, like trucks, vans and motorcycles, are excluded.
- World Elite Hotels & Resorts Portfolio: High-tier hotel chains around the world participate in this program. They include Starwood, InterContinental, Fairmont and Hyatt, among others. When staying at these hotels, you get room upgrades, early check in and late check out, if they are available. Plus, you get daily free breakfast for two and one free amenity that varies by hotel.
- World Elite Air Program: Participating airlines include Aer Lingus, Aeromexico, Austrian, Etihad, LAN, Lufthansa and Virgin Atlantic. When flying on these airlines, you can get free seating upgrades, discounted or complimentary companion tickets, and other savings on flights.
- World Elite Cruise Program: You can get discounts totaling up to $500 per cabin with participating cruise lines. They include Avalon, Azamara, Crystal, Cunard, NCL, Oceania, Paul Gauguin, Regent, Royal Caribbean and Sea Cloud.
- World Elite Tours & Vacations Program: World Elite Mastercard can save you up to $500 on your tour package. Participating tour providers include Abercrombie & Kent, Absolute Travel, Avanti Destinations, Globus, Journey Mexico, Kensington Tours, Key Tours, and Monograms.
- World Elite Car Rental Program: You can get 15% to 25% off rentals from Avis, National and Sixt. You automatically get elite status with each agency, too.
- Mastercard Airport Concierge: 15% off Airport Meet & Greet service, which provides an escort to guide you through the terminal and help you find connecting flights. This service may also help expedite your way through security or immigration.
- World Elite Private Jet Program: When chartering a private jet, you can get discounts, complimentary meals and beverages, and chauffeurs on arrival. Participating providers include Sentient, ACS, and Lufthansa.
- World Elite Chauffeured Car Service: You get 15% off all bookings and may receive a $50 voucher toward your next purchase. The participating providers are Sixt Limousine Service, International Limousine Service, Vitesse and Avis Chauffeured Car.
1-800-MC-ASSIST hotline: You can get roadside assistance with jump starts, towing, gasoline delivery and lockout assistance. You can also call for help with things like getting information on a foreign country you’re visiting, asking for an emergency replacement card, and getting emergency cash advances.
Using the help line is free, but you will have to pay for whatever services you use.
- Complimentary travel planning: Mastercard employees will offer advice and help you book your trip 24/7.
World Elite Mastercard Benefits on Purchases
- Purchase protection: If something you buy with your card is broken, lost or stolen within 90 days of purchase, you can get reimbursed up to $1,000 per item and $50,000 per year. Some of the things that aren’t included are plants, animals, traveler’s checks and computer software.
- Price protection: If you buy an item and find a lower price for it within 120 days, you can get reimbursed for the price difference. You’re covered for up to $250 per claim and up to four claims per 12-month period.You must provide proof of the lower price on a printed or digital advertisement. Some exclusions are used or antique items, cars, and things bought from auctions.
- Extended warranty: This benefit doubles the original warranty, up to two additional years, of items you buy with your card. Mastercard will pay out as much as $10,000 or the total amount charged to your card, whichever is less. There are exceptions, such as motorized vehicles, software, media, and items destroyed by natural disasters.
- ShopRunner membership: You get free 2-day shipping and return shipping on purchases at ShopRunner. This site sells products from major retailers including Saks Fifth Avenue, Brooks Brothers, Tory Burch, Staples, 1-800-Flowers.com and more.
- Fuel Rewards Network: Special discounts on Shell gas for World and World Elite Mastercard cardholders.
Miscellaneous World Elite Mastercard Benefits
While the biggest World Elite Mastercard benefits pertain to travel and purchases, there’s still a nice grab bag of other perks to enjoy.
- Concierge service: You can call this line 24/7 and ask Mastercard’s representatives to help you make purchases. You could ask for a restaurant recommendation, for example. Or you could ask them to purchase Broadway tickets right when they go on sale. The possibilities are endless.
- Priceless Cities: Access to exclusive activities in over 40 cities around the world. For example, you could cook with a famous chef, meet actors, get private tours, score VIP tickets to sporting events and more.
- Nightlife Program: Exclusive access to over 200 clubs worldwide. You can book time slots in advance and get VIP treatment.
- Priceless Golf: Mastercard is partnered with the PGA Tour and offers exclusive experiences, like playing on PGA Tour courses and members-only events at tournaments.
World Elite Mastercards, along with all other Mastercards and most credit cards in general, give one other great benefit: $0 fraud liability. While the government mandates that no one has to pay more than $50 for fraudulent transactions, Mastercard makes that $0. Of course, you’ll need to report the fraud in order to get the charges removed.
Was this article helpful?