The Hartford Insurance is a solid insurance company overall, earning a rating of 3.1/5 from WalletHub editors and A+ scores from organizations such as the Better Business Bureau (BBB), despite mixed customer reviews. The Hartford, which offers a wide variety of insurance options, is best known for its AARP insurance coverage that’s tailored specially for older drivers who are AARP members. Younger drivers and non-AARP members can buy policies from The Hartford, too, but the benefits and discounts won’t be as great.
In the sections below, learn more about The Hartford Insurance’s featured coverage options, discounts and more.
The Hartford Insurance Ratings
- Reviews on WalletHub: 3.6/5
- J.D. Power: 4.1/5
- NAIC: 1.72
- BBB: A+
- A.M. Best: A+
- S&P: A+
- Moody’s: A1
The Hartford Insurance is on great financial footing, earning high ratings from leading credit rating agencies A.M. Best, S&P, and Moody’s Investors Service. When it comes to customer service, however, the company has received mixed reviews. The Hartford’s NAIC score is 1.72, for example, which means it has received more than the average number of customer complaints for insurance companies its size. Many of those complaints focus on poor customer service and delays in claims payments.
The high number of complaints and the fact that the company doesn’t have a 24/7 customer support line lost The Hartford quite a few points in this category.
Category Rating: 15/30
Sample Car Insurance Quotes for The Hartford
|Driver Profile||Average Quote|
|18-Year-Old||$182 / month|
|21-Yea- Old||$112 / month|
|45-Year-Old||$72 / month|
|45-Year-Old with a Speeding Ticket||$111 / month|
|45-Year-Old with a DUI||$265 / month|
|55-Year-Old||$63 / month|
|65-Year-Old||$63 / month|
The Hartford Insurance received a score 10/30 in the cost portion of this review, as its premiums rank in the third quartile among cheapest major car insurance providers that WalletHub evaluated. Learn more about WalletHub’s Methodology.
Types of Insurance Offered by The Hartford
- Personal auto insurance
- Commercial auto insurance
- Homeowners insurance
- Condo insurance
- Renters insurance
- Flood insurance
- Umbrella insurance
- Business insurance
- Worker’s compensation insurance
- General liability insurance
- Commercial property insurance
Since The Hartford offers so many types of insurance plans, as well as discounts for bundling multiple policies, the company got the highest score possible in this category. Below, we’ll delve deeper into how The Hartford Insurance measures up as a car insurance provider.
The Hartford Insurance offers all the major auto insurance coverage options that are commonly required by states: bodily injury liability, property damage liability, medical payments, uninsured/underinsured motorist, collision, and comprehensive. The company also offers extra coverage options, though they might not all be available to non-AARP members.
Supplemental Car Insurance Coverage Options Offered by The Hartford:
- Full Auto Glass Insurance: Covers any repair costs to your windows or windshield.
- Car Towing Coverage: Covers towing and labor charges associated with getting your car running again after a breakdown.
- RESCUE 1-800®: Covers emergency roadside assistance costs for towing, tire repairs, jump starts, etc.
- Rental Car Expense: Covers the cost of a rental if your vehicle is being repaired because of a covered loss.
Remember, while it may be tempting to add supplemental coverage options to get the most protection possible, you don’t want to end up paying for coverage you’ll never realistically need. That being said, there are several scenarios in which enhanced coverage is warranted, and The Hartford offers specialty car insurance options to suit these situations.
Specialty Types of Insurance Car Insurance Policies Offered by The Hartford:
- Commercial Auto Insurance for vehicles used by a business owner or employees while performing commercial duties.
- Classic Car Insurance for classic/antique vehicles. The Hartford Insurance insures those through a third-party insurer, American Modern Insurance Group.
The Hartford Insurance also insures boats and recreational vehicles, including RVs, ATVs, golf carts and snowmobiles. However, The Hartford is perhaps best known for its AARP Auto Insurance Program, which offers extra protections for AARP members while they’re on the road.
The Hartford’s AARP Auto Insurance Program:
- 12-Month Rate Protection: Locks premiums prices for a full year.
- New Car Replacement: Covers the replacement of your new car if it’s totaled within the first 15 months (or 15,000 miles) after you buy it.
- RecoverCare: Pays up to $2,500 for transportation, cooking, cleaning, and other services you may need if you get injured in an auto accident.
- Towing & Labor: Pays up to your policy limit for emergency roadside assistance needed to get back on the road or tow your vehicle to a repair shop. This benefit requires you to have comprehensive coverage.
If you want to enhance your AARP coverage, you can upgrade to The Hartford’s Advantage Plus Program. In addition to the 24-hour roadside assistance service, specialty discounts, and other benefits that come standard with the normal AARP Advantage Program, the Advantage Plus Program offers first-accident forgiveness coverage, emergency expense coverage, and several deductible deduction benefits.
Category Rating: 5/5
The Hartford Insurance Discounts
- Multi-policy discount
- Multi-vehicle discount
- Anti-theft device discount
- Airbags discount
- Hybrid/electric vehicle discount
- Driver training discount
- Good student discount
- Defensive driving course discount
- Paid-in-full discount
- Home fire protection discount
- Home security system discount
- Claim-free discount
- AARP member discounts
- Retiree credits
The Hartford Insurance doesn’t offer a lot of discount options compared to its top competitors, so it didn’t get a great score in this category. Also, keep in mind that eligibility criteria for insurance discounts vary by location.
Category Rating: 1/5
The Hartford Claims
The Hartford Insurance lets customers file claims 24/7 online or over the phone, at 800-243-5860. The company’s ease of accessibility earned it the best score possible in this category, per WalletHub’s grading criteria.
Category Rating: 15/15
The Hartford Insurance Transparency
You can find most key information on The Hartford Insurance website quickly and easily, so it gets the top score possible in the transparency department. If you need more information, you can also call a live agent (888-413-8970) Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST.
Category Rating: 5/5
The Hartford offers several standard insurance policies for homes, vehicles and businesses that can be made to suit a variety of needs. It also offers umbrella and flood insurance options. Plus, The Hartford is an especially good choice for AARP members, as there are specialty discounts and other benefits that cater to these customers specifically.
However, despite scoring well when it comes to transparency, coverage options and its claims-handling process, The Hartford could offer more discounts and work on its customer service practices.
Summary: The Hartford Insurance Scores by Review Category
|Customer Service & Reviews||15/30|
|Types of Insurance and Additional Service Offered||5/5|
Now that you’re familiar with The Hartford’s scores in each of our review categories, let’s see how the company compares to top competitors in a handful of key areas. Hopefully, this will help you find the best insurance company for your needs.
The Hartford Car Insurance vs. Competitors
|Insurer||The Hartford Insurance||MetLife||Travelers||Liberty Mutual|
|Average Annual Premium*||$1,328||$1,848||$961||$1,277|
|Number of Car Insurance Discounts||8||5||17||17|
|Offers Home Insurance||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
(lower is best)
*Average annual premiums are based on a variety of driver profiles. Individuals premiums may differ, but these rates illustrate how costs from these insurers typically compare. Learn more about how these rates were calculated in the methodology section below.
For more car insurance research, check out WalletHub’s Cheap Car Insurance Study. And if you have experience with The Hartford that you think might help other consumers, you can also write a review of The Hartford Insurance.
In order to provide fair, helpful reviews of insurance companies such as The Hartford that can lead consumers to the best insurance coverage for their needs, WalletHub rates each insurance company in seven major categories: Cost, Insurance Types, Customer Service & Reviews, Discounts, Claims, Financial Stability and Transparency. Below, you can find an overview of what each section in our scoring rubric entails.
- The “Cost” section includes information about how expensive the insurance policies are. The Hartford’s average premiums and quartile rankings are based on data from California, the largest state The Hartford operates in. Rate information is provided by Quadrant Information Services. Individual rates will be different.
- The “Insurance Types” section examines what types of insurance policies the company offers.
- The “Customer Service & Reviews” section measures the insurance company’s reputation as well user reviews and information from watchdog organizations.
- The “Discounts” section examines how many and what types of discounts the company offers. It also takes into consideration whether or not there are discounts for bundling policies.
- The “Claims” section examines the ways in which customers can make claims with the policy. It considers whether or not customers can make claims by phone or online, as well as whether or not the company has a 24/7 support line.
- The “Financial Stability” section considers the company’s status with credit rating agencies A.M. Best, S&P and Moody’s.
- The “Transparency” section measures how clearly the insurer discloses key information on its website.
The final score takes these seven categories into account and reflects how close an insurance company is to WalletHub’s definition of a 5-star insurer. For more information, please read WalletHub’s full insurance company methodology.