Travelers is a good insurance company overall, earning a 3.8/5 rating from WalletHub editors, above-average scores from organizations such as J.D. Power, and an accreditation from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) in 2010. In addition to auto insurance policies, Travelers offers coverage for properties, businesses, special occasions, travel and more.
Travelers Reviews and Ratings
- Reviews on WalletHub: 2.6/5
- J.D. Power: 3/5
- NAIC: 2.75
- BBB: A+
- S&P: AA
- Moody’s: A2
Travelers is on good financial footing, earning strong endorsements from Standard & Poor’s and Moody’s, some of the nation’s leading credit rating agencies for the insurance industry. Its NAIC rating is 2.75, however, which means Travelers has received more than twice as many complaints as the average car insurance provider, adjusted for size. Many complaints focus on a flawed claims processing system, and reviews are a mixed bag when it comes to customer service, so Travelers only got an average rating in this category.
Category Rating: 15/30
Sample Travelers Car Insurance Quotes
|Driver Profile||Average Quote|
|18-Year-Old||$112 / month|
|21-Year-Old||$78 / month|
|45-Year-Old||$58 / month|
|45-Year-Old with a Speeding Ticket||$86 / month|
|45-Year-Old with DUI||$116 / month|
|55-Year-Old||$55 / month|
|65-Year-Old||$58 / month|
Travelers earned a score of 20/30 in this category, as the company’s auto premiums rank in the second quartile among the cheapest major insurance providers WalletHub evaluated. Learn more about WalletHub’s Methodology
Category Rating: 20/30
Types of Travelers Insurance
- Auto insurance
- Homeowners insurance
- Condo insurance
- Renters insurance
- Landlord insurance
- Boat/recreational vehicle insurance
- Travel insurance
- Wedding/special event insurance
- Jewelry/valuable item insurance
- Umbrella insurance
- Business insurance
Given Travelers’ long list of insurance options, as well as its discounts for bundling multiple policies, the company earned the highest rating possible in this category. Below, we’ll talk more about how Travelers measures up as an auto insurance provider.
Travelers offers the major car insurance coverage options required by states, including bodily injury liability, property damage liability, uninsured/underinsured motorist, collision, and comprehensive. It also offers many extra coverage options for added protection, but the availability and eligibility requirements vary by state.
On that note, Travelers has agencies in all 50 states and Washington D.C., but the company only offers auto insurance policies in 42 states and the District of Columbia. Residents of Alaska, Hawaii, Louisiana, Michigan, North Dakota, South Dakota, West Virginia, and Wyoming can’t get an auto policy with Travelers.
Supplemental Travelers Car Insurance Options:
- Emergency Road Service: Pays for the cost of emergency roadside services such as jump-starts, fuel delivery, towing, tire repairs, and lockout assistance. Policyholders can also choose to upgrade to the Premier Roadside Assistance® option for enhanced benefits, including towing service of up to 100 miles, trip protection, personal property coverage (up to $500).
- Rental Reimbursement: Covers the cost of a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop due to an accident. To purchase this add-on, policyholders must have either comprehensive or collision coverage.
- Premier New Car Replacement®: Provides a new car of the same make and model if you total your new vehicle in the first five years of ownership. This coverage also automatically comes with loan-lease coverage and glass protection.
- Responsible Driver Plan: Provides accident forgiveness and minor-violation forgiveness. These two benefits protect you from a premium increase after your first accident or minor traffic violation following a prolonged period of responsible driving. Travelers auto insurance forgives one accident and one violation every 3 years.
- Premier Responsible Driver Plan®: Includes all the benefits of the basic Responsible Driver Plan but adds the Decreasing Deductible® feature. Decreasing Deductible can help you earn a deductible credit of up to $50 for every 6 months that you avoid an accident or major traffic violation. Each customer can save up to $500 with this benefit. This premier upgrade also includes the Total Loss Deductible Waiver, which waives your deductible payment if you total your car.
- Loan-Lease Coverage: In the event of a total loss after an accident, this coverage pays for the difference between the cash value of your car and what is still owed on your car loan/lease.
While it may be tempting to load up on all of Travelers’ enhanced coverage options, it's important to only sign up for coverage that makes sense for your situation. You don’t want to end up paying for coverage you’ll never realistically use.
Specialty Types of Travelers Car Insurance Policies:
- Travelers Ridesharing Insurance is a policy add-on for individuals who live in Colorado or Illinois and drive for a ridesharing company.
- Travelers Commercial Truck & Auto Insurance protects vehicles owned by businesses and the employees who drive them.
- Travelers Collector Car Insurance is for vehicles that are at least 25 years old and used for business purposes. To qualify, policyholders must generate at least half of their business revenue from the collector vehicle(s). This specialty policy is offered under Travelers’ business insurance division through a third-party provider, Hagerty.
Travelers also offers insurance policies for boats and yachts. Details and availability of all these specialty policies vary by state.
Category Rating: 5/5
Travelers Insurance Discounts
- Multi-policy discount
- Multi-vehicle discount
- IntelliDrive® discount
- Homeowners discount
- Safe driving discount
- Continuous insurance discount
- Electric vehicle discount
- New car discount
- Paid in full discount
- Auto-pay discount
- Good payer discount
- Early quote discount
- Good student discount
- Away at school discount
- Driver training discount
- Affinity group discount
Travelers offers more than 15 discount options, which earns the company the highest score possible in this category. Travelers also guarantees accident and violation forgiveness every 3 years for good drivers. Just bear in mind that the eligibility criteria and availability of discounts vary by state.
Category Rating: 5/5
Travelers Insurance Claims
With Travelers, you can file a claim any time via the company’s easy-to-use website or by calling Travelers’ 24/7 claims support department at 800-252-4633. The company’s accessibility has earned it full marks in this category, per WalletHub’s grading criteria.
Category Rating: 15/15
Travelers Insurance Transparency
You can find key information on the Travelers website quickly and easily, so it earned full marks in terms of transparency. You can also call a live agent if you have questions about your policy, at 866-336-2077.
Category Rating: 5/5
Travelers is a good insurance company overall. Travelers scored well in terms of the types of insurance options it offers, the discounts that are available, its transparency, and how the company handles its claims process. But there’s room for improvement in the customer service department.
Summary: Travelers Scores by Review Category
|Customer Service & Reviews||15/30|
|Types of Insurance and Additional Service Offered||5/5|
Now that you’re familiar with Travelers’ scores in each of our review categories, let’s see how the company compares to top competitors in a handful of key areas. Hopefully, this will help you find the best insurance company for your needs.
Travelers Car Insurance vs. Competitors
|Average Annual Premium*||$961||$1,328||$1,848||$985|
|Number of Car Insurance Discounts||17||8||5||13|
|Offers Home Insurance||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
(lower is best)
*Average annual premiums are based on a variety of driver profiles. Individuals premiums may differ, but these rates illustrate how costs from these insurers typically compare. Learn more about how these rates were calculated in the methodology section below.
For more car insurance research, check out WalletHub’s Cheap Car Insurance Study. And if you have experience with Travelers car insurance that you think might help other consumers, you can also write a Travelers insurance review.
In order to provide fair, helpful reviews of insurance companies such as Travelers that can lead consumers to the best insurance coverage for their needs, WalletHub rates each insurance company in seven major categories: Cost, Insurance Types, Customer Service & Reviews, Discounts, Claims, Financial Stability and Transparency. Below, you can find an overview of what each section in our scoring rubric entails.
- The “Cost” section includes information about how expensive the insurance policies are. Travelers’ average premiums and quartile rankings are based on data from California, the largest state Travelers operates in. Rate information is provided by Quadrant Information Services. Individual rates will be different.
- The “Insurance Types” section examines what types of insurance policies the company offers.
- The “Customer Service & Reviews” section measures the insurance company’s reputation as well user reviews and information from watchdog organizations.
- The “Discounts” section examines how many and what types of discounts the company offers. It also takes into consideration whether or not there are discounts for bundling policies.
- The “Claims” section examines the ways in which customers can make claims with the policy. It considers whether or not customers can make claims by phone or online, as well as whether or not the company has a 24/7 support line.
- The “Financial Stability” section considers the company’s status with credit rating agencies A.M. Best, S&P and Moody’s.
- The “Transparency” section measures how clearly the insurer discloses key information on its website.
The final score takes these seven categories into account and reflects how close an insurance company is to WalletHub’s definition of a 5-star insurer. For more information, please read WalletHub’s full insurance company methodology.
Ask the Experts
To gain more insight about 2021 Travelers Auto Insurance Review, WalletHub posed the following questions to a panel of experts. Click on the experts below to view their bios and answers.
1. How important should Travelers Insurance reviews be to potential customers?
2. Why do insurance companies like Travelers spend so much money on commercials?
3. Do national companies like Travelers tend to be a better deal for consumers vs a local insurance company?